Saturday, October 2, 2021

Daddy 40 per cent at home turns into DAD 40 per cent at home

Does this guy look like a daddy or A DAD?

I could just about tell you the exact day when my moniker changed from Daddy to DAD.  It was after we got to our summer vacation destination in the US.  I have to ask my older daughter again how she came about calling me Dad instead of Daddy. She had some long reply.  Suffice to say that I guess it happens at some point in the life of the kids when they realize that "daddy" is kind of a moniker used by littler tots and think that "Dad" is more mature and adult like. 

So, I think we were swimming in the lake and she called me "Dad".  I had to turn my head.  It confused me and it sounded strange.  To tell you the truth, I didnt like it. I have been used to "daddy" all these years.  "Dad" is going to take some time to get used to.  Nearly 13 years I heard "daddy".  Now I have to           respond to "dad".  

I dont know.  I liked "daddy".  "Dad" sounds like it should be used by my adult daughter who is calling me up on the phone and saying "hi dad, I had to call...etc etc".  Or "Dad, I¨m writing to you because etc etc ..."  Or "Dad, can you call Mom".  Those are ok.  But just "dad" out in the lake or when we are right near each other... it is weird to me.  I guess maybe because it sounds more like she is an adult and not a kid anymore and she  cant call me "daddy". End of her childhood?  It just sounds strange and I still dont like it. 


But it doesnt end there.  

Pretty much the next day or maybe the next day after, my younger daughter also started to call me "Dad".  Wait a sec.  She is still small. She just turned 10 last week from this writing. At the time she was still 9.  When my older daughter was 9 there was no way she was going to call me "dad". She was still a young girl. I guess she thought she was old and I thought she was old when she was 10, I remember her tenth birthday quite well, but... no... she was still young.  

So, how is it that my younger 9 year old can start to call me "dad"?  I asked her.

I said she was just copying her older sister and didnt want to call me "daddy" because her older sister was using the "proper" adult form.  Not to be left behind by her.  She didnt agree to that opinion. She said, it was true she heard her sister calling me "dad" but then she seemed to repeat the "name" "dad" in her mind and decided it sounded better too and started to call me that.  

You know what? I dont like either of them calling me "dad".  I want to be "daddy".  


Now it is September and, well, Dad is the name that has taken over. No more "daddys".   The problem is, it is about a month after that original "daddy" to "dad" change and I STILL have not gotten used to "dad".  No, I have not.  

So, I am not sure what comes next. I guess I just have to get used to it. I can ask them to start calling me daddy again, but I think either they will refuse or they will feel really weird doing that. I dont think they will do it, or will do it a couple times and then revert.  

I guess... I guess I just have to get used to it and realize that I am now a DAD.  

But wait.  Why do they still call Mommy "mommy"? 


I bought the re released Emerson Lake and Palmer Cds today.  All 4 four of them. 

Tarkus is probably the best.  In my opinion.  Very powerful.    


 


No comments:

Post a Comment