Monday, December 19, 2022

Why do parents still teach fear?


Recently
 I have been coming into conflict with people on line mostly about movies that are being made and shown in theatres.   In the past year people on an economic blog have  become very upset with several movies made by Disney corp.  Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story, and to a lesser extent Thor and Black Panther.  

People on an economic blog accuse Disney of being "woke" and shoving a political agenda down all of our faces.  I guess I have to interrupt at this time and say that actually the woke movement is from the tens of 2000s, so my daughter tells me and may be finished now or died down or gone. I dont know. It seems to be another word for "politically correct"  I am not sure, I missed the details.  And since I missed the details I cannot say for sure, but to me, it just seemed like  progressiveness.  Forging ahead in trying to get respect for all members of society and earth and INCLUDE rather than EXCLUDE.  

But I suppose these people see it as a leftist movement or liberal, whether it be "save the planet", "anti racism" "anti homophobic"  "anti colonialism"  or any other such topic.  They seem to put it in terms of a political agenda.  I dont get that.  Does the right strive to be exclusionaries?  Maybe so?  I always thought showing respect wasnt a right or left thing, it was just a human value we strive for whether coming from Ward Cleaver in Leave it to Beaver or the coming movie (which should be opening up this weekend as I write) Avatar 2, respect for the planet and environment.  


At any rate, the point being is that I just cant understand parents teaching their kids to hate or even to watch out.  Dont trust those people.  Stay away from them.  Dont make friends with them.  But that said, I guess I can understand.  Is it really because in our hearts we are afraid and want to teach our children either to also be afraid or to be secure by watching out for those other people.  Because they will get you.  They are dangerous.  In other words, outwardly society these days wants us to be accepting but in our hearts, we cannot be, and we are still afraid and we actually pass that on.  

But then I come back to the question, how or why do we still teach our children fear? I would think teaching fear is anti thetical (if that is the right word) to teaching strength.  If you are afraid, then arent you a weaker person?  If you are afraid to do things, or have experiences, you will be a lesser person with fewer experiences.  The stronger individual is one that has gone out to the frontiers and not been afraid.  In the same way, how is it good to teach our children fear of other people?  That only makes them weaker and more afraid to interact and experinece.  Right?  Or does that  come down to DNA anyway?  

So, the point being that doesnt it make our children stronger to go out and learn about other people without fear?  If my children can live in the world and know that other people exist who are different from them and it is not a bad thing, it probably is very good, then dont they become stronger individuals?  So why do parents continue to teach their children to be afraid of others?   To teach fear?  

Exclusive: Disney/Pixar's 'Lightyear,' with same-sex couple, will not play in 14 countries; China in question

 You can not imagine the extreme outrage that was written about Toy Story with Buzz lightyear when he kissed another guy. They were just so angry.   I didnt even see the movie though would still like to, but I cant understand why that so did bother many parents.  And get a load of this.  Not only do parents teach fear, but governments teach fear.  The Chinese government banned that film from being shown in China.  Saudia Arabia, (well of course) banned it from being shown.   That just tells me that these governments are so weak they are so afraid of their citizens seeing a differnet type of person that exists in the world and personally does no harm to you in Saudia Arabia, or China, but for some reason should be feared and banned.  


Well, I guess 1.3 billion chinese people are going to be the weaker for it.   And they will continue to be "afraid".  Where as the superior unafraid individual will be stronger by forging ahead and learning more about everybody and being inclusive rather than exclusive.  The people who can understand and not be afraid of other people, will definitely be a stronger, superior even smarter person.  Sorry Chinese, your government, though not the first time, is really weakening you.  

But what about these Americans who are afraid also and still teach their children fear?  I guess I can understand it, but I cant?  Why should I pass on a fear of mine to my kids?  I want them to be strong individuals.  Every generation must become better and move away from fear.  So thinks me at any rate. 

Lets have a wonderful Merry Christmas and happy holidays for all.   

If I had it in my power, I would bless you all.    

No comments:

Post a Comment