Monday, April 11, 2016

Will the real vegetables please stand up and be eaten

Fully realizing that fruits and vegetables are perhaps the most important things to eat every day and especially for kids, I started to wage a battle several weeks ago to get more fruits and vegetables in my kids diets and tummies.  Now, you may say, "well no sheet Sherlock, why so late?"  And in fact I do plead a bit guilty and have to say that I was put off and found it hopeless for about a year trying to get my kids eating in this direction.  My older girl used to eat things as squash and zucchini and everything, but seemed to change when she saw her younger sister wasn't eating any of those things.  And her younger sister was adamant about not eating any of those "veggies".  Being the dictator she is, I have to say, we kind of gave in to her and didn't push her.

Until this year when her older sister started learning about the food groups in school and thank goodness the teacher was pushing vegetables and fruits on them.  My daughter came home one day from school and said "Daddy we should be eating FIVE servings of fruits and vegetables every day!  I want to do that."  OK, I said.  Well, which fruits and vegetables do you like to eat?  Lets name five in each group at least and I will make sure you have those vegetables and fruits to eat as many days as possible.

Finding enough fruits she liked was easy.  Sort of.  She loves grapefruits and she will eat apples, so it is no problem most days to at least have apples at home.  And I try to keep grapefruits on stock for their extended growing season.  They do have a long season and they come in in the winter when most other things are out.

But the real problem was naming enough vegetables.
"OK, so name five vegetables you like and will eat,"  I said.
"Um... carrots,  corn.... um.... peas...."
"You really like peas?  Are you sure?  I don't know if you like them so much?"
"I do I do," she, said.  "Its my sister who wont eat peas, but maybe wait and see if we have enough others to put them in, maybe I don't have to eat them.   Lets see what else?"

  A minute or two pause at this point.    "Um.... carrots, peas, corn.  Um  olives, I like olives, green olives.  And also beans, but only those red beans, I think.  And pickles too.  How many is that? carrots one, peas two, corn three, beans four, olives five.  Five and then also pickles.  That is a lot already.  More than five,"  she said satisfied.

My wife came into the room and had heard and said, "corn isn't a vegetable.  Its a cereal." Oh.  Both my daughter`s and my jaw dropped a little in sadness.

"Oh and I really like corn too.  Cant it be a vegetable?  Maybe in the summertime anyway?  I eat it everyday in the summer," my daughter asked.  But no,  the powers that be already designated corn as a cereal.  harumph.

"And olives are not a vegetable.  They grow on trees," my wife continued.
"Well, then they are a fruit," I said.
"Nope, not either.  They are ... like an oil.  Beans are a legume.  Not a vegetable either.  And actually peas are either legumes or fruits, but more likely legumes.  Legumes are not so good because your body has trouble digesting the whole thing.  Like the skin of corn,  you cant digest it, break it down.  So it just goes through you.  Peas too.  There is some controversy now whether legumes are good or bad.  But mostly it seems like some book sellers say they are bad in order to sell you their book and or diet.  Though Legumes DO have an upside and downside. " (Here is a fair article on the subject)

Image result for pictures of fruits vs vegetables
"Um....  What about the green ness of peas.  It must be worth something.?"
"They just aren`t vegetables.  But...They are very good.  Look at this."

So what was left on our list?
"Oh, pickles are a fruit too.   But they are sterilized, so even though they are still good, they aren't as good as say cucumbers, but which are still..... fruits.  But they aren't bad. You shouldn't bug out on pickled foods (though sometimes Daddy does in fact do just this with his pickles and pickled beets)"

"Fruits?"

"Yes, fruits.  Seeds inside, make them a fruit.  Same as tomatoes, eggplant and avocados."

This was getting very difficult.  This left us with...... carrots.  One vegetable my daughter liked.  But actually there is controversy whether olive is a fruit or that oil thinger,  but it is not a vegetable, but maybe we could count it as a fruit anyway.

"Don't you like any other VEGETABLES?", I asked my daughter. "Cauliflowers?  Broccoli? Beets? Spinach?"
"No, no, no and big very big no to spinach."   ..............

Image result for popeye vs bugs bunnyImage result for popeye vs bugs bunny

Carrots.
"I like peppers too.  But only the yellow peppers.  I don't like the green peppers."
"Well, this is fine," said my wife, "but technically peppers are fruits too. "

We were stumped.

Carrots.

"Well carrots are very very good for you.  And you can get them year round as they are root vegetables.  So, lets have a carrot party every day," I offered.
My daughter looked, sad, dejected and skeptical.

"OK,  lets throw in the peppers as vegetables too."

Well, technicalities aside, my daughter IS eating healthier.  We have vitamin bedtime snack where she eats a grapefruit or, a carrot.  My other daughter eats a banana or apple.  She too has become a bit, a little bit more of a healthier eater.  But I really wanted my older daughter to get more veggies as typically the fruits have more of the natural sugars and vegetables are pure wholesome goodness (unless you boil them which zaps their nutrients out), but I guess until her taste buds open up a bit more and accept cabbage, broccoli and ugh.. spinach, we have a lopsided fruit and vegetable menu with more fruits and um, carrots for the vegetable.

Well, as long as she  doesn't start turning orange, I guess we are heading in the right direction.  I don't know why I still feel dejected myself.  I guess I thought vegetables were the holy grail of healthy eating and my daughter still is not eating so many of them.

But only technically.  Lets just call pickles, peppers and olives vegetables for argument and good health`s sake. That is at least four vegetables she can eat during the day.  

Thank you.
(a good simple article on what is a fruit and what is a vegetable.  But peas and olives are often put in another group, although they are called fruits in this article)

6 comments:

  1. A vegetable is defined as a plant cultivated for an edible part or parts such as roots (turnip), stems (celery), leaves (lettuce), flowers (broccoli), or seeds/fruit (beans/squash). I don't see any problem with any of your cases being vegetables. Eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble with that definition you write. You are calling or classifying all fruits as vegetables. All your others ARE vegetables, but fruits are not vegetables. Fruits are defined as carrying the seeds either inside or out (strawberries). Thats why surprisingly cucumbers, peppers and squash are fruits. Some legumes like peas are also confused as vegetables. Its in the article I linked at the end of the post. I just tend to think of vegetables as the holiest most healthiest of foods. Fruits often have a high content of, albeit natural sugars, but sugars all the same. Vegetables dont. Ergo my search for the true vegetables to eat. Thanks for commenting. I am sure there are several conflicting definitions out there which may trip me (us) up. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are confusing botanical and common use.

    Agriculturally, a vegetable is a defined as the edible portion of a plant. Botanically, fruits are the part of flowering plants that contain the seeds. Legumes have fruits - beans and peas. To say that legumes are not vegetables is nonsense. All grains are also fruits.

    Common use (and food pyramids) draw other lines, but calling things "true vegetables" makes no sense botanically or even nutritionally (since they are all good for you). The common classifications are based on culinary traditions, not botany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All due respect, but I think You are confusing definitions and categories. I have yet to see a definition that says fruits are vegetables which seems to be what you are saying that the edible portion of a plant is a vegetable. There are fruits, veggies, legumes, cereals.. you cant put them all in one group. And what I think you are missing in my post is what I am trying to get at is what is BETTER. For me, vegetables are the holiest of holy, ie spinach. In fact there is a current group who are frowning on legumes and say they cause a lot of problems in the body and have a diet excluding legumes. While I dont agree with this idea, it does go to show. Fruits are good of course, but have the (natural) sugars. In fact the pulpy fiber is the good section of the fruit. If you just drink the liquid from the fruit you are missing out on a lot and doctors will warn against just drinking fruit juices, even 100 per cent. At any rate, in my thinking there is a hierarchy and vegetables are at the top and that is why I was trying to find five foods which were, no excuses allowed, VEGETBABLES, which my daughter would eat. I will have to use the botanical definitions then. Apologies that I am not a botanist and for sure need more schooling on this entire subject. I will admit.

      Delete
  4. I think you are confusing food with religion. No food is holy. Anything is bad if eaten in excess. There are vegetables that have sugars (beets, potatoes,sweet potatoes, etc.). Yet, the sweet potato is one of the most highly rated vegetables nutritionally.

    You cannot have "categories" without definitions to define them. A fruit is the part of the plant that contains the seeds. Botanically, a tomato is a fruit. In culinary use it functions as a vegetable. Your food pyramid has fruits and vegetables on the same level - EAT MOST, it says vegetables AND fruit. No distinction is made between them. They say each less of starches and "starchy vegetables". If you are fat, and do not move much, then maybe you have to worry about that. For children, probably the most important thing is not eating processed foods and refined sugars.

    Those who frown on legumes have to reckon with the fact that most of the population of the world relies on them - people in Africa, South America, and Asia get most of their protein from legumes. Health problems in those places have developed not from eating legumes, but from adopting "western" practices, like eating meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "No food is holy". I dont know. I was eating a fresh carrot yesterday and I thought I saw God. Hmmm, maybe my glasses needed cleaning.

      I think I have to go with the botanical definitions. Superficial as they may be I was reading a lot of quizzes asking which is a fruit and which is a vegetable and many people got wrong what they thought were vegetables but were actually fruits. Mainly because they had seeds in them, like the avocado, eggplant and cucumber, all defined as fruits. I guess the quizzers were using the botanical definitions.

      Very heartily agree that the real fight is keeping children away from too many processed foods, refined sugars and fats.... but isnt that the fight for many adults too?

      Personally I think that anti legume diet is silly, but I have to admit it has caught on even in my neck of the woods. When I went to my local out door farmers market this week, I saw one seller selling "paleo diet specialties"

      Delete