Sunday, September 18, 2022

Summertime not blues part 5. Traverse City Film Fest


 Michael Moore is a very controversial character.  Some would call him the epitomy of the liberal left agenda promoters.   But one very great thing he has done is not connected to left or right, but just great movies, where ever they come from.  That is he is one of the founders (Doug Stanton and local TC photographer John Williams being the other two) of the Traverse City Film Fest begun in 2005, located of course in the Northern Michigan town of Traverse City.   

For several years now the kids and I have been going to the Film fest, to several of the movies.  Even when my younger daughter had trouble    understanding the dialougue which was pretty mature, we went.  They were in awe when we passed the director of Bathtubs over Broadway on the street.  He was like a huge celebrity to us because we had just seen his film and he had answered questions after the movie.  The movie was a documentary.  I think my daughter was 7 or even younger.  


This year was even nicer to go because it had been cancelled for the last two years because of the pandemic and we really missed seeing films we wouldnt ordinarily get to see.  And just going to the movies more was fun.  I especially loved going this year because over the past year I have been reading so many comments from people who say film theatres are dead and they should just pass the way of the horse and buggy.  Michael Moore not only loves making films, he loves cinema.  He has put a lot into refurbishing all the local movie theatres for no other reason than he wants people to enjoy seeing films  in a good atmosphere.  And the film fest is part of that. 

The nicest part probably are the dusk films outside.  Somehow we have never gotten rained on.  These films are usually more family oriented mainstream films, or older films.  You go at 9pm and stake out your patch of lawn and lay your blanket down and spread out your pizza and food and drinks.  Once we bought the pizza on site, but it wasnt very good, so this time we brought a peegeos pizza, the best pizza in the world with us, but I think we finished it before the film started. 


This year I was so happy to see the Wizard of Oz with my kids at the dusk movie.  They never would have seen it otherwise and I havent seen it since I was a kid and I used to see it once a year every year. I miss it.  AND it was in color. I never ever saw it in color.  That was great.   

Later in the week we saw Singing in the Rain.  Another great one.  I have never seen that film. There was no chance I would ever have seen that film either.  So I was happy to see it here and at dusk.  And I must say, it was a fine film. I dont usually like singing movies, but it was very nice.   (A note from dad, they cried and cried to see Alien which was going to show at the dusk show, but I said, no that one is not good for you guys, not yet, no way).  I usually hate driving in the dark, but I wouldnt miss going to some dusk movies even if I hate driving after dark.  That is how great they are.  Very good for families. 

In the past, it was more difficult to see the movies, because they are usually documentaries, and maybe difficult for my youngest daughter to understand. But now she is getting older and gets them, so we can see more mature films.   So my choice was to see a documentary on the history of Kurt Vonnegut.  He is one of my favorite writers.  But I think it may have backfired.  Because it wasnt the best movie.  The others we saw were, admittedly way better, and then I was disappointed to find out, and also my daughter, that he left his first wife just as he was becoming a "hit".  I never knew that before and it has  darkened my fondness for him.  


I have to be proud of my girls because they chose very mature movies and I have to say they were very good.  My older daughter chose a story of Kapernick vs America about the football star who knelt on one knee before football games when the anthem was being played.  And Youth vs Gov about a group of teenagers who are suing the national government for not curbing climate change even though they knew about it quite a bit earlier, or had an inkling about it, like from the 70s.  

At any rate, these were tough subjects to understand and for the first time my daughters really understood them and "comprehended".  So not only were the movies very educational, but also very enjoyable. I was proud that they wanted to see these movies.  I really cant understand people who want to see the death of movie house films, maybe just to make a killing on the stock market.  

Becasue the real reason behind Michael Moores support of the film

The founders of TCFF

fest and the reason we go is because it is a whole lot of fun. It is great to see a film at a theatre. It is great to have a family outing at a film and even tough films can be enjoyable, even to pre teens. It just isnt the same seeing them on some stream sitting on your couch and hitting pause when you have to go to the bathroom.  This is something we all like and look forward to now every year.  Taking the family to a film is still the cheapest "night out on the town" if your pocketbook is stretched as it is.  Especially this year.   

For fathers bringing up their kids, I strongly recommend taking the family OUT to see a film.  Get off your tushes and get out of the house.  Really people need to move.  Streaming is fine, but people are not meant to stay home day in day out, they gotta go out too and the films are really good family fun.  It can even be an educational film

The TCFF official picture

Suffice to say that the film fest is now a tradition in our summer vacation and I as a father trying to keep up a steady stream of fun in the summer I can not go wrong with the film fest.  Thank you Michael Moore and co founders for providing this quality fest now which will become a strong traditon in Traverse City.  But try not to miss the cherry and blueberry and asparagus and maple syrup national weeks either.  Those are also a lot of fun for families.  And dads, you can not go wrong with any of them.  So get up and move and get out of the house.  These fests are great fun for the whole family. Dont shy away from educational films.  The kids will even like these.  I guarantee it.  Go for it.  

Thanks for reading



 


No comments:

Post a Comment