Saturday, April 11, 2015

Easter Sweets

A week before Easter, Friday evening, I munched on a cookie that was sitting on the kitchen counter.  My wife had bought it from the Hare Krishna's and it was a good, healthy, bio cookie.  A bit hard, but quite good.  Any sweet stuff left out in the kitchen after dinner time automatically is claimed by Daddy.  Rule of the house.  Well, unless someone tells me "Daddy this is mine.  Don't eat it!"  Then I leave it alone.  My wife watched me eat it and said nothing after the first bites, so I polished it off.  My cookie.

The next day was Saturday and we had a big outing with my older girls class to a technical museum which had a big science exhibition for kids.  Maybe that belongs to another post sometime because it was wonderful.  But all I will say now is that I spent the whole Saturday with them, including two bus rides there and back.  Over an hour long trip to another city.  The point being that I was with my kids all day continuously.  And we had a great day.

So, why did my older daughter choose our walk back home to our apartment from the bus to suddenly ask me, "Daddy, did you eat my cookie?"  "And well, I uh, well, you know, well, that was your cookie?  It was sitting there.  Mommy watched me eating it.  She didn't say anything.  I didn't know but..."  That was that.  For the rest of the walk home she was crying hard that I had eaten her cookie and I had to get her another cookie.  Right now?!  But it is Saturday, the Hare Krishna's are sleeping, I couldn't get a cookie then.  More crying.

What,, wut?  Well, it HAD been a nice day.  Why in the name of the God of cookies did she wait all day after a lovely day to start crying over me eating her cookie?  Was she thinking about that cookie all day long and waited until she couldn't take it any more to ask me about it? Or maybe she was waiting for the end of all the fun and the sad walk home to pin me down?  I ll ask her in a year after she won`t cry about me eating her cookie. I won`t do THAT again.  I promise.   

Foward one week. Twas the night before Easter and my wife's Mother had given the kids two bags of chocolate eggs.  You know those cheap, junky chocolates which are more sugar than chocolate. Very unhealthy and something to die for any time of year.  Stuffed with caramel or white chocolate.  Then those stupid chocolate hollow bunnies which for some reason are very fun to eat, but don't taste as good.  But hey, chocolate.

My youngest daughter stood in front of me before bedtime and said quite solemnly, "Daddy those Easter chocolates,  don't eat them!"   I looked at her.  I stared at her.  I peered through her eyes to her very soul.  Here was my youngest daughter asking me quite seriously, but politely not to eat the chocolates.  I would venture close to death to save either of my daughters, they mean that much to me.

But...

Promise broken. 

Before Easter came the next morning, the chocolate was gone.

Ain't nothing going to stand between me and Easter egg and bunny chocolate.  Not even my daughters who I would die for.  

Well, there were other things to eat as you can see from the following pictures.

Post Easter still life 
Traditional Easter fish




No comments:

Post a Comment